My husband and I love food and we have been craving barbecue. I made my fantastic slow cooker rib recipe, all the fabulous details are here. I also made savory mashed sweet potatoes and bean salad. This is a fabulous and frugal meal. The entire meal was just under $14 and we have lots of leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 4-5 sweet potatoes or jewel yams chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 c sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper if you dare
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp parsley
Boil chopped sweet potatoes for 15 minutes or until fork tender. I leave the skin on because the skin is super healthy and it saves time. Drain and return to pot.
Add all ingredients and mash with a potato masher or electric mixer.
These are the easiest and most delicious sweet potatoes. I love that they are savory and sweet. If you aren’t a fan of spicy food, omit the cayenne pepper.
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 can kidney or black beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 c diced pepperoncinis
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 1/3 c balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c red wine vinegar
- 1/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- dash of red pepper flakes
- Drain and rinse all of the beans and diced tomatoes. Place in large bowl. I often use fresh green beans or tomatoes when I have them. When I buy canned foods, I always try to buy low-sodium, no one needs extra salt!
- Dice the onion and pepperoncinis and add to bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
This is one of those recipes that is better the next day. If you have the time and foresight, make this the night before you plan on serving it. I didn’t make it ahead of time tonight and it was still very good. Refrigerate the salad until serving.
Since I started the ribs in the crock pot this morning, I only had about 30 minutes of prep and cook time this evening. If you like barbecue, you must try this dinner, you will love it!