This is one of my absolute favorite and easiest slow cooker recipes. You can not go wrong making tortilla soup! It is also very healthy and can be made vegetarian.
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 whole jalapeño * optional
- 3 cans of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of El Pato Salsa de Chile Fresco
- 1 can of corn drained and rinsed
- 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts thawed or frozen * substitute another can of beans if you are making this vegetarian style
- Optional Garnishes – tortilla chips, sliced avocado, diced onion, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, hot sauce
- Drain and rinse the cans of beans and corn. Add to slow cooker
- Chop onion and bell pepper. Add to slow cooker.
- Add jalapeño, garlic, and chicken to slow cooker.
- Add cans of tomatoes, El Pato sauce, and broth to slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker.
- Shred chicken with a knife and stir back into soup.
I cannot tell you how easy and delicious this soup is! I made this for the first time last year, when I realized I didn’t have enough chicken for my slow cooker chicken tacos recipe. I buy most of my canned items at Costco with the exception of the El Pato sauce. I like to make this on Mondays for the upcoming week. I literally throw everything into the slow cooker and dinner is done when I get home from work. My husband and I then have our lunches for the next few days made as well.